Good news...

Bennett Matthew Naimo was born Thursday morning, June 15th at 7:52 am. He weighed 6 lbs 3 ounces and was 20 inches long. He is doing great and God was watching out for him. There was a very rare and very serious problem with the placenta and umbilical cord that my doctor didn't discover until after I delivered. She said it was extremely serious and had my delivery gone any other way, it could have been really bad for him. But everyone is great now and we are so thankful for the prayers of so many of you and grateful that we have a wonderful God who takes care of details we don't even know about.

Bennett means "Little Blessed One".

To: Jeanne Russo
Subject: RE: Its a boy!

Hey aunt dede!

Thanks for being excited with us and thanks for your concern with the problems. I had a velamentous insertion of the cord, which means that Bennett's umbilical cord was attached to the membranes instead of directly into the placenta. So, to best explain that is to say that the cord was attached to the bag of water barrier and then through that to the placenta... I think. I guess there is still things I don't understand.

Anyhow, because of that, rupturing the bag of water would result in his cord being severed because it wasn't protected. Had that happened, he would have bled to death. So, had my water broken on its own, at home or whatever, he would not have made it. In fact, in the hospital, my first nurse who did the induction and was there when I got the epidural, had decided not to check me once I got the epidural. It was 5 am when I got the epidural and I was 4 cm. My doctor was coming on at 7:30 so my nurse had said that since I wasn't feeling pressure and since my water hadn't broken, there was no need and she wanted to prevent the chances for infection and whatnot. Ended up to be a good thing that she didn't because that increases the chances of my water breaking.

When my next nurse came on at 7, she noticed Bennett's heart rate drop on the monitor at the nurse's station and told me later that she had a "gut feeling" something was up and just wanted to keep a close eye on him. So she came in the room and kept trying to get me readjusted, put oxygen on me and kept stressing that she needed to know as soon as my water broke. So I had an idea there was some reason for concern, but even my nurse had no idea how severe everything was.

My nurse checked me shortly after 7 and said I was at 8 cm but that my bag of water was bulging out. She also told me later that she wasn't sure if she might be feeling the umbilical cord down low, which is obviously serious, with or without the insertion problem I already had. So she kept telling me to tell her if my water broke and I kept thinking, how on earth will I know? This epidural was leaving me completely numb. My nurse was doing a great job of being cautious and thorough without freaking me out.

My doctor., Dr. Wilkey, came on at 7:30. After the fact, they told me my nurse, Donna, was waiting for her at the nurses station and told her she needed to see me immediately. So my doctor came directly to my room, in her street clothes and when she went to check me, my bag of water was bulging out between my legs. Of course I couldn't feel it or anything else, but even Anthony saw it and said it was quite weird. My doctor said she was going to break my water and I would deliver almost immediately. At this point, we still had no idea of the severity of everything. But they were still concerned so Dr. Wilkey pretty much ran out of the room to get her scrubs on and was back almost immediately.

They got me ready to go, she broke my water (which amazingly hadn't broken on its own yet) and I pushed for less than 5 minutes and out he came, 7:52. (not too much time to spare since she had just come on at 7:30.) Dr. Wilkey did the whole thing. So they layed him on my stomach and of course it was this wonderful, special moment, and my doctor is working on delivering the placenta and everything. Then, she has the umbilical cord in her hand, and I remember with Ella that after she came out, the placenta came out with the cord kinda on its own. Anyhow, she was delivering that, and the umbilical cord came out on its own. Dr. Wilkey was shocked and alarmed and the look on her face told me that something serious had happened. My doctor has been delivering babies for over 20 years, senior partner in her practice, she is very professional and not at all an alarmist, so I knew she wasn't exaggerating at all. She turns to my nurse, who is also visibly shaken by the umbilical cord by itself and Dr. Wilkey started to explain to me then that I had the velamentous insertion of the cord. She said this is extremely serious and had my delivery gone any other way, she said, "your baby would have bled out and died".

She said she has only had this happen one other time in her entire practice and it resulted in an emergency c-section. I guess a patient's water had broken at the ob's office and started bleeding really bad so they rushed her to the hospital and I think everything ended up ok. But she estimates that she has delivered over 7000 babies and to only have it happen twice tells you how rare it is. She said it is sometimes caught in an ultrasound, but not usually. There is no known cause for why it happens and if you know in advance, a c-section could prevent the risk to the baby. But I think just seeing her face and hearing the fear in her voice communicated to me that this was not some simple complication. It could have been very tragic. When she did rounds the next day, she was talking with my mom about it and she said, "when I pulled the umbilical cord out and realized what was going on, I was horrified". Like my mom said, to use a word like that in talking with a grandma... it obviously shook her up.

Anyhow, after the realization of all this hit, she said, "someone has been praying for this guy". and "God has been watching out for him." She even called him the miracle baby when she came in for rounds. I told her his name means "blessed one" and she said that was the perfect name.

So in thinking back through it all, there are so many things that worked out so perfectly. For instance, most people usually go into labor early with their second baby and I was obviously hoping for that, but had my water broken at home, I wouldn't have made it to the hospital in time to save him. Had I been induced any earlier that day (we went in at 2 am) my water could have broken before Dr. Wilkey got there, or even the new nurse that was a little more attentive to what was going on. Or had the night nurse checked me and caused my water to break, or even the doctor on call for Dr. Wilkey's practice could have broken my water. (That is generally what they do for induction patients to get things going, and the previous doctor had been considering it.) Or, had my water broken on its own after I got the epidural, I would not have felt it and it wouldn't have taken long to lose him. There are so many scenerios that keep playing through my mind and keep reminding me of what an awesome God we serve and how he was truly watching out for Bennett the entire time. Bennett really is blessed, and God is SO good.

This is probably WAY more information than you wanted, but it sure helps me to type it all out. The reality of it all hits me more and more each day and I look at my little boy and I just don't want to put him down. I love him so much and the thought of him not being here is almost too much to bear. My mom has been helping me do research on this in order to understand it better and to be able to talk to his pediatrician., just to make sure there isn't anything we still need to be concerned about. She has been coming across all these websites and most of them are for people who have lost their babies because of this. The mortality rate is extremely high. God is so good. and I believe he has big plans for Bennett's life.

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks for caring. It's fun to have other share in our excitement.